Our new series, “Publication Spotlight,” covers various publications of interest to our clients. In these spotlights, we’ll conduct research and develop a brief Q&A sharing details about the outlet and some of its core offerings. Check out our previous spotlights on Inc. and Forbes.
In the post below, I’ll share an overview of GeekWire and a summary of my research as of Sept. 13, 2021.
Q: How long has the publication been around?
GeekWire was launched in March 2011 and covers the people, companies and innovations emerging from and impacting the Pacific Northwest, according to Cision. In addition to daily news and tech community updates, GeekWire also offers Startup Resources, a Venture Capital Directory, tech and startup job postings, and a calendar with various events to connect, learn from, recruit, do business and have fun with people from across the tech community.
Q: Who owns the publication?
GeekWire was started and is owned by two longtime journalists, John Cook and Todd Bishop, with startup veteran and investor Jonathan Sposato, the company’s chairman. Learn more about the Executive, Business and Editorial teams here: About GeekWire.
Q: Who reads GeekWire?
Entrepreneurs, business leaders, C-level executives, tech enthusiasts and members of the general public interested in what’s next in tech in the Pacific Northwest read GeekWire. The publication caters to these groups by publishing breaking news, expert analysis and unique insights about technology companies located in Seattle and nearby regions. In general, about 20% of their audience is in Seattle and Washington state, making it their largest single market, while the other 80% is spread throughout the rest of the country and the world. GeekWire also shares on their Advertising page that 57% of their readers make over $100,000 per year, 25% are founders and CEOs, 42% are managers or executives, 83% of GeekWire readers have completed college, and over 40% have completed an advanced degree.
Q: What is the process for contributing content to GeekWire?
GeekWire’s news team looks for stories that happen in Seattle and the Pacific Northwest that matter everywhere, stories that provide value to the Pacific Northwest tech community, and stories that happen elsewhere but are uniquely relevant in this area. GeekWire’s core values and journalistic focus guide its story selection and encourage its team to be passionate, tuned-in, competitive, smart, experimental and community-oriented team players. If you have a Seattle-based and tech-focused story to share with the GeekWire team, here’s its contact information; make sure you check that your story matches your contact’s beat to give your pitch the best chance.
Q: What is the process for applying to GeekWire’s lists and awards?
GeekWire offers the Startup List, the most comprehensive list of startups in the Pacific Northwest and the GeekWire 200, a ranked index of the 200 most popular and trending startups. GeekWire updates the GeekWire 200 every month and publishes GeekWire 200 Highlights with some of the top news for these startups. To be included on the Startup List database and considered for the GeekWire 200, submit your company here, but only technology startups in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and British Columbia will be accepted.
GeekWire also hosts annual awards called the GeekWire Awards, last hosted online on May 20, 2021. The 2021 Awards had 14 categories, including Startup of the Year, Innovation of the Year, UX Design of the Year, Next Tech Titan (won by our client BitTitan in 2017) and the Geeks Give Back Award. Judges pare the nominations down to five finalists for each category and the winner is decided by public voting. Community nominations should open again in March 2022.
Q: Does GeekWire publish an editorial calendar?
Q: How many readers does it have?
GeekWire has over 1.2 million unique visitors per month and over 300,000 followers on their social media channels according to their Advertising page.Tags: business, business technology, earned media, GeekWire, GeekWire Summit, leverage technology, management techniques, Online Media Outlet, outlet, Professional Network, publication, publisher, tech, Tech Blogger, Tech PR, Technology